The first Miss America pageant, 1921 -- swimsuit competition1
In 1921: From June 20-25, the annual conference of the American Library Association was held at the New Ocean House in Swampscott. 1,899 librarians from across the country attended, and the Board of Library Commissioners and members of its staff, along with officers and members of the Massachusetts Library Club, acted as hosts.2 "The opportunity given in 1921 to Massachusetts librarians does not come frequently. It is for us to prove that we are not so cold-hearted as pictured, and that we can offset the frigidity of the north shore by the warmth of our reception."3
To date, the ALA has held annual conferences in Massachusetts only four times in its history:
There have been two ALA Midwinter conferences in Boston, in 2005 and 2010.4
What else happened in 1921?
1. www.nydailynews.com [link]
2. Annual Report of the Board of Free Public Library Commissioners for the Year Ending November 30, 1921.
3. Massachusetts Library Club Bulletin, Volumes 7-12. [link].
4. www.ala.org [link].
5. www.nydailynews.com [link].
6. www.theatlantic.com [link].
7. www.historyorb.com [link].