Ground was broken for the Dodge Library at Northeastern University. This mock ceremony by students was staged on February 3, 1950.1
In 1950: "The first Certificate of Librarianship [was] presented at the Massachusetts Library Association Meeting on February 9, 1950 at the Copley Plaza in Boston."2
TODAY: All public library directors in Massachusetts are required to obtain a Certificate of Librarianship as a prerequisite for municipalities to receive State Aid to Public Libraries.3
What else happened in 1950?
1. library.northeastern.edu [link].
2. Division of Public Libraries newsletter, January 1950.
3. MBLC State Aid to Public Libraries blog [link].
4. Famous First Facts. Published by H.W. Wilson, New York.
5. www.infoplease.com [link].
This website, and other programs of the MBLC, is funded in part with funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency that fosters innovation, leadership, and a lifetime of learning.