House Bill 5979, which added an additional $1.9 million to the budget for state aid, was signed into law by Governor King on April 12, 1980.
What else happened in 1980?
- The 3M Corporation reintroduced Post-It Notes to the U.S. market in April 1980. They were originally marketed in the late 1970s as "Press n'Peel" and failed to generate any real interest or sales.2
- May 18: Mount St. Helens erupted in Washington state.3
- June 1: CNN (Cable News Network) aired for the first time.4
- December 8: John Lennon was shot as he was about to enter his New York City apartment building. Later that night, he died at Roosevelt Hospital; he was 40.5
1. MBLC Currents, 1980.
2. Post-It Note - Wikipedia entry [link].
3. www.fs.usda.gov [link].
4. www.britannica.com [link].
5. www.biography.com [link].