The Grant Process
Note: all dates listed are tentative until the MBLC approves the Program Notice and the calendar -- probably May 2016
- Submit a Letter of Intent by October 7, 2016
- Attend an Application Workshop in October/November 2016
- Comply with all grant eligibility requirements:
- All libraries must:
- be certified to receive State Aid, with or without a waiver
- have a current Long Range Plan on file at the MBLC, or file one by October 3, 2016
- have a current Action Plan on file at the MBLC, or file one by December 2, 2016
- not have received an MPLCP construction grant within the last 20 years, if there is only one library building in the municipality
- If the municipality has multiple independent libraries and/or a library system with more than one branch, the municipality must:
- not have received an MPLCP construction grant within the last five years, or 20 years for the same building
- have a comprehensive town-wide plan for library service on file at the MBLC, or file one by October 1, 2016 (for multiple independent libraries; a system-wide LRP is sufficient for a library with branches)
- determine which library or branch may apply
- Submit completed application to the MBLC by January 27, 2017. Items that must be included are listed here.
- Receive Town Meeting, Select Board, or City Council approval
- for the construction project by June 17, 2017
- to apply for, receive and expend construction grant funds by June 17, 2017
- Grants are reviewed and ranked by at least five independent reviewers. For criteria, see the State Regulations.
- Receive a provisional construction grant award (July 13, 2017)
- Confirm local funding and officially accept grant award by January 12, 2018
Need more information? Refer to the Program Notice, the State Regulations, and the Grant Calendar when they become available. Subscribe to the MPLCP Construction Listserv for fastest access to announcements.
Still have questions? Contact us.